Tea is one of the most widely consumed beverages worldwide, but not much is known about the glycolipids found in tea. This project is focused on isolating and characterizing glycolipids and understanding how they may contribute to the health benefits and sensory attributes of tea. In order to do so, we are developing mass spectrometry and high sensitivity screening protocols for analyzing nano-nutrients in aqueous solutions and using our laboratory’s chemical technologies to synthesize internal standards, which may be hard to obtain or commercially unavailable.
Links Related Research:
- Gervay-Hague J, Du W, Kulkarni S, Schombs M., inventors. Regents of The University of California, assignee. One-Pot Synthesis of Alpha/Beta-O- Glycolipids. US 8,624,006. 2014 January 07.
- Schombs, M.; Park, F. E.;Du, W.;Kulkarni, S. S.; Gervay-Hague, J. One-pot syntheses of immunostimulatory glycolipids. J. Org. Chem. 2010, 75(15): 4891-8. DOI: 10.1021/jo100366v
- Gervay-Hague, J. Taming the Reactivity of Glycosyl Iodides to Achieve Stereoselective Glycosidation. Acc. Chem. Res. 2016, 49 (1), 35-47. DOI: 10.1021/acs.accounts.5b00357
- Davis, R. A.; C. H. Lin; J. Gervay-Hague. Chemoenzymatic synthesis of cholesteryl-6-O-tetradecanoyl-alpha-d-glucopyranoside: a product of host cholesterol efflux promoted by Helicobacter pylori. Chem. Comm. 2012, 48(72): 9083-5. DOI: 10.1039/C2CC33948J
- Nguyen, H. Q.; Davis, R. A.; Gervay-Hague, J. Synthesis and Structural Characterization of Three Unique Helicobacter pylori alpha-Cholesteryl Phosphatidyl Glucosides. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2014, 53 (49), 13400-13403. DOI: 10.1002/anie.201406529
- Davis, R. A.; Fettinger, J. C.; Gervay-Hague, J. Tandem Glycosyl Iodide Glycosylation and Regioselective Enzymatic Acylation Affords 6-O-Tetradecanoyl-alpha-d-cholesterylglycosides. J. Org. Chem. 2014, 79(17): 8447-52. DOI: 10.1021/jo501371h
- Davis, R. A.; Fettinger, J.C.; Gervay-Hague, J. Synthesis of cholesteryl-alpha-D-lactoside via generation and trapping of a stable beta-lactosyl iodide. Tetrahedron Lett. 2015, 56 (23), 3690-3694. DOI:10.1016/j.tetlet.2015.05.012